Monday, August 24, 2009

Blind Leading the Blind

Monday August 24, Clay County Democratic Executive Committee hosted a town hall meeting with Florida Congressional District 3 (CD-3) Representative, Congresswoman Brown. As expected, discussion centered on healthcare reform. Even though the meeting was open to the public, approximately only 100 people were in attendance. The small crowd and Ms. Brown can be seen in the photo below.


The low turnout either indicates that people have little interest in what is occurring in Washington (which is not a positive sign
) or that the meeting notice was not as well publicized as initially thought. Fortunately, the meeting was civil and there were few disruptions.

To my dismay, Ms. Brown demonstrated that she has very little understanding of economics and current events based on the following anecdotal evidence:

1. She mentioned that she was saddened that Florida had some of the highest unemployment and foreclosure rates in the country and verbally indicated she did not know why. I would expect my representative to know that Florida’s economy in based in part on tourism and when that dries up due to a sour economy, people lose jobs and when people are unemployed an extended period of time, they are more at risk of losing their home to foreclosure.

2. When she took an informal poll asking the attendees what they wanted in a healthcare bill, one commented that Medicare should be expanded to all, which drew praise from the crowd. I was hoping that someone would ask the hard follow up question about Medicare's funding status (I would have, but only Democrats were allowed to ask questions). I expected Congresswoman Brown to educate the attendees that the Medicare program is at risk of going insolvent, but she did not and I wonder why. I suspect she does not know because she did share negative news about other programs earlier in the meeting. As such, I believe this is a classic case of the blind leading the blind, which is extremely troubling for us long term. I do not expect citizens to know the details of federal government programs, but I think it is imperative that our elected representatives do.

I am not against government providing a healthcare solution or any solution for that matter if it works, but I have yet to see a successful government program implemented on a large scale over an extended period of time. However, I commend our current President for wanting to tackle the situation. We need more of these types of discussions because I believe they serve to educate the populace. With a more informed populace, we should be able to, as a society, make better decisions. Some of those decisions would include prioritizing our spending and saying no to the lower priority items.

What I find interesting with the current discussion on healthcare is that I have yet to hear much talk about fixing Medicare and its cousin, Social Security, which I think is important before expanding government healthcare to all. Both of these social programs will be stressed (even without adding the additional stress of a nationalized healthcare system) in the next two decades due to baby boomers at a time when we will be:

1. Trying to handle one of the largest debt loads the nation has ever faced; and

2. Trying to maintain our supremacy as an economic powerhouse when an ever-strengthening China will surely challenge us.

I understand the need to make healthcare affordable for all, especially for the working class and the uninsurable. If our leadership is blind, as my current representation appears to be, I suggest we go slowly. Conversely, if we want to go fast as our President seems to indicate then I suggest CD-3 needs new representation that has a better problem solving skills and a better understanding of economics.

No comments:

Post a Comment