Monday, August 24, 2009

Cleanse Thy Soul

I recently worshiped with members of Mount Zion Commandment Keeping Church of the First Born of Central Florida led by Bishop Ron Johnson. I consider the Bishop a friend and believe he is influential in the community of Florida Congressional District 3 (FL CD-3) even though his church is not physically located in the district. His church has a small congregation, which I believe he prefers because it allows him to minister on a more intimate level. He is definitely a man of God and cares about all regardless of creed.

The day I attended there were less than 20 people in attendance. I walked in 5 minutes late, but the Bishop stopped the service to give me a warm welcome. Since he was not giving the sermon that day, he sat next to me. Between hymns and other parts of the service he whispered some context with me about some of the parishioners. I shared with him half way through the service that I enjoyed attending black churches because they are so uplifting and contrasted so much to the church I grew up in. After the formal service ended, I was able to see my fellow congregants with new eyes. I imagine that was his purpose of ministry, to open mine afresh.

Raised as an Episcopalian, I learned the forms of worship such as how to kneel without registering a complaint. As I got older, I took pleasure that I could kneel without complaint. Because of the rote structure of church service, if I were to show up late I could easily pick up the service in the Book of Common Prayer without even looking at the printed order.

Typically, the service will last an hour, but inevitably when I was younger it seemed like two. However, my friend’s church service lasted two and a half hours, but sped by in what seemed like an hour. Based on the few churches I have attended in the district, I am beginning to understand why faith is a big part of CD-3. One feels part of a community and your soul feels cleansed after attending. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment