Thursday, August 20, 2009

Crime Ridden Neighborhood, Indeed

Earlier this week I visited an Orlando, Fla. neighborhood bracketed by I-4 to the north, Holden Ave to the south, OBT (Orange Blossom Trail/US441) to the east and Rio Grande Ave to the west. While the area was clean, what I found so striking were the not so subtle signs of crime. One of the more visible signs was a billboard with the word 'rape' in large bold letters within eye shot of three separate large apartment complexes that catered to families.

I just caught a glance of the billboard from the corner of my eye, but I believe it was a 'public service announcement' to help those that were victims of such a hideous crime. What was equally disheartening were the single women standing alone nearby at either a bus stop or street corner wearing short skirts and low cut tops; their appearance told me they were looking for more for than just a ride to the mall. I wonder how some parents of young girls that live in this neighborhood ensure their safety from predators.

At one of the apartment complexes, I met two security guards. I found several things interesting from this meeting:

1. The guards were young, not the older ones seen driving around in pick-up trucks at malls;
2. They wore bulletproof vests, wrap around sunglasses and carried several firearms. They definitely looked like they were ready for action; and
3. They gave me their business card so I could call them if I got into any trouble. I chuckle at their reasoning for giving me their card because I try to envision myself pulling out their card to find their number so I can dial it while I am running, ducking or hiding for my life. Yeah right.

However, from their point of view, having a business card and being willing to stand accountable for those to whom they give it, is a validation of the professionalism they aspired to in performing their job. I thanked each for their kindness and admire their service.

Based on my conversation with the security guards I thought it would better to walk the streets nearby that were lined with houses. At the first two houses I visited, I met two disgruntled old men. Our meetings were very brief. Both men slammed their front doors in my face. I wondered why they would be so angry, but upon leaving their neighborhood in the opposite direction from which I entered, I found my answer.

The quiet working neighborhood they had moved into many years ago had become crime ridden. Upon leaving, I met separate groups of recreational pharmaceutical salesmen just one to two blocks away. I can see how these men could be frustrated. The homes may be paid, but the resale value has probably not appreciated over the years and may even have depreciated, which limits their ability to move.

Further limiting their ability to 'vote with their feet' is their advanced age. If they have not already retired to live on a fixed income, they soon will. As a result, I think they must feel/believe they are kind of trapped in what may seemed to be an ever-worsening world around them. I just wonder how many others in the district feel trapped too.

No comments:

Post a Comment