Monday, August 31, 2009

The Ripples From Foreclosure

I walked through a town home complex in the Lexington Square area within Precinct 14 of Jacksonville/Duval County. I talked to all types of people. I communicated with those that could be classified as working class, professional class, retirees, young families, singles, blacks, Hispanics, whites, liberals, moderates, conservatives. Most seemed content with a few mentions about trash and foreclosed homes with neglected yards (as seen here).

While this community arguably has a higher per capita income than other areas in the district, it is not immune to the effects from the recent economic downturn. If anything, it has been hit just as hard as the more impoverished areas.

Based on my conversations with people in this community, observations in other parts of the district, my experience as a stock analyst, and my understanding of the banking system, I believe we will continue to see more foreclosures. In general, I think foreclosures are highly disruptive to the stability of the family fabric as some families become homeless, move back in with parents or move in with friends. All situations surely lead to stress, which could result in violence, dissolution of a marriage or any other number of negative outcomes. I expect the ripples from these stresses to:
1. Continue to affect policies being made in Washington, D.C for the foreseeable future and
2. More importantly, leave an indelible mark on future generations, which is both good and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment