Friday, October 2, 2009

Harlem, NY Is Not In The District

On my trip to NYC I visited the folks of Harlem Children’s Zone (as shown in this picture). I made a visit because it serves as a basis for Jacksonville’s New Town Success Zone. Prior to talking with a Harlem Children's Zone (HCZ) staff member, I walked through Harlem to talk with people on the street to learn their thoughts about the organization.

Of those that knew of HCZ, all spoke favorably. I met a couple of families with young children whom were living in shelters in other parts of the city prior to moving into the zone so their children could benefit from the programs provided by HCZ. I also talked to a student currently enrolled in the programs. He beamed with a broad smile, because he credits the program for giving him the opportunity to attend college the following year.

Following my walk, I debriefed a HCZ staff member that I support their mission, but was concerned that we may be raising a future generation that may believe that these programs come free and will be free of charge for their children if and when they have any. I was told that they are aware of that and that their programs (beyond academic counseling) provide rewards only to those children that have demonstrated positive behavior (attending school, doing homework, etc..). Sounds fair and reasonable, but I am still not sure; however, HCZ has improved lives, which is a major accomplishment that I applaud.

No comments:

Post a Comment