Friday, April 9, 2010

My Email To Chairman Bernanke

Below you will see a copy of my email that I sent to Chairman Bernanke based on an April 7, 2010 news report in the Wall Street Journal entitled Bernanke Says U.S. Should Tackle Debt.

Did I expect him to respond? No. Why should I? He probably receives thousands daily and probably has a staff solely dedicated to reading his email. However, I was hoping, albeit remotely, someone from his office would respond. Anybody can talk the talk, but few will truly walk the walk.

I put my money where my mouth is; I just ran out of money (please see post below). However, I plan to keep walking and may be even start running. I may also be tilting at wind mills, but DAMN IT!, if we do not change, then a CRISIS will force us to change.

What we are currently experiencing is not a crisis. I realize and understand for those unemployed, it definitely is, but for our nation it is not. I plan to explore this topic in greater detail in a future post.

If Chairman Bernanke is truly serious about our debt - beyond just trying to ensure he pacifies owners of our debt (wink, wink - China) - then how hard is it for him to direct his staff to take some actions. With a little brainstorming, a few great ideas could pop out. My suggestions are:

1. Put together a one page talking paper for the masses which:

A. Can be easily consumed (not written to an 8th grade level, but a 4th grade level);

B. Highlights the challenges associated with our debt;

C. Highlights how we, as nation, may reduce our debt; and

D. Can be easily found and downloaded from the Federal Reserve website or sent to people in response to their emails;

2. Arrange to go to all the lobbyist firms and trade associations to help them see - requires a little salesmanship - the benefit(s) to their respective industries by supporting politicians that are committed to reducing the debt (currently politics is primarily about the money and we have allowed the these organizations to have too much sway over our elected officials, another future post);

3. Work with K-12 education groups to start promoting a better understanding of a sound fiscal policy (our children will bear the true cost of our debt; so should not we prepare them to handle it? – another future post); and

4. The list could go on.

I/we do not need Chairman Bernanke to perform some of the above-mentioned items. I/we can do it our selves. Even though I need to focus on my business and family as you probably would prefer doing, I am making time to work on this matter because I believe it to be of utmost importance. Hopefully, I can help you convince yourself and others of the same. Please read the September 4, 2009 opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal by John Fund for a possible start.

Copy of email to Chairman Bernanke:

Dear Chairman Bernanke:

Thank you for commenting yesterday on the challenges associated with our national debt.

I wholeheartedly applaud you for doing so.

However, I believe you cannot mention once and move on.

I strongly encourage that you pound the table daily on this matter.

We did not get here overnight nor will we get out of our mess overnight. I believe the only way our elected officials will tackle the debt is when those that help them get elected realize that it is important. The only way that will happen is if someone, such as you, makes it his or her mission to constantly sound the alarm.

I recently attempted a run for Congress as a citizen candidate primarily for this reason, but due to lack of funds I ended my campaign. The following link to my blog, http://flcd-3.blogspot.com/, highlights my short-lived, but enlightening campaign.

I would like to help you help our nation tackle this issue, please let me know how I may assist you.

Best,

James Gilman

No comments:

Post a Comment