Friday, December 31, 2010

Self-Preservation At the Expense of Others and Our Nation

The courtship of Ms. Brown by some of her campaign contributors highlights a significant challenge we face as a nation as we:
  1. Seek to reign in government spending and
  2. Reduce our national debt.

I believe we will not be able to do either, when people knowingly or unknowingly hold self-preservation at the expense of others as their key principle.

I do not know of any other reason that would explain why staunch Republican businessmen and women would donate money to Corrine Brown, whose voting record casts her as a strong liberal and the antithesis to Republican interests. I say “staunch” because a large number of these Republican donors have a history of donating solely to Republican causes with the exception of donating to her. (Please go to this website. Search for those donors that are in the transportation and construction industries then type their name in this website to see a list of those to whom they donated.) I also believe that a “true” (which I think would be the same as “staunch”, but then again…) Republican believes in personal responsibility and small government (which means no handouts).

I have yet to meet a true Republican, white, black, green, yellow any color you choose, that respects Corrine Brown and I would think these donors would be no different. If these donors publicly supported her, I would have no beef. However, I have yet to hear any of these donors get up in front of an REC meeting to state their support for Ms. Brown and why others (Republican or not) should do the same. I bet you, none will.

I would support Ms. Brown, regardless of her political affiliation, if she pounded the table on issues important to her voters and our nation, such as:
  1. We need to improve our education system so we can help our youth (& our future) survive in an increasingly competitive world;
  2. Our workforce needs constant re-training to stay competitive;
  3. We have become a nation of overweight and obese people, which makes it harder for us to compete and more importantly, will over burden an underfunded government medical system (aka Medicaid and Medicare);
  4. We need to save more and rely less on our government; and
  5. So on.
Instead I hear Ms. Brown pound the table on issues that pertain to her self-preservation, such as:
  1. Fair-districting” is unfair to her and
  2. Political columnists do not have the 1st amendment right to freely state their opinion.
She is also very proud of her ability to raid the cookie jar to “deliver” handouts. These handouts increase our tax burden and led to a cycle of dependency, just like crack and meth. Some of these handouts amount to social welfare, but most amount to corporate welfare (i.e. earmarks), which it seems to me these executives so desperately seek for self (& wealth) preservation.

Fixing our nation will require us to replace our bad habits with good habits. It starts with us “just say[ing] no” to quote Nancy Reagan. I encourage these well-healed executives to help lead the way by example.

I walked the walks throughout the District to put a better representative in Washington and I will continue to walk the walk; I expect others that talk to talk to do the same. Conversely, if at anytime you believe that I have strayed, I expect you to hold me accountable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment