Friday, August 1, 2014

It's Hard to Participate, I Know All to Well (Post 1 of a Series of Posts)

Following my failed attempt over four years ago to have my name on the ballot to possibly earn the opportunity to represent us in Washington, D.C., I have long promoted the concept that we must participate more in our government.  However, I can readily attest that it is extremely hard based on personal experience, which I seek to share through a series of posts beginning with this one.

Even though the date of this post is August 1, 2014, it is based on a letter that I opened in early January of this year, which I initially received two months earlier in November 2013.  That letter was a non-descript form letter sent by Florida Blue, my health insurance provider, informing me that my family’s health insurance would cease to exist due to the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) mandates.  It is now obvious that when I wrote my last post, Set Healthcare Free, published November 22, 2013, I was unaware at the time that I was writing about family and me.

Needless to say, once I learned the news, I was angry; sadly, I felt hopeless, too, because I did not think there was much else I could do other than: 1. Make the necessary hard choices; 2. Voice my frustration to those who helped write and approve the legislation and 3. Share this information with as many others as possible (such as through a series of blog posts). In the process of seeking to voice my frustration and more importantly, give possible solutions, I discovered that the process requires a lot of resources (time and money), which are hard to come by. 

While I did not keep formal track of time allotted, I guestimate that I invested approximately 100 hours writing, editing, printing and mailing my letter.  I also spent approximately $300 on print material and postage.  When you read my letter (in a series of subsequent posts) you will come to learn why I sent snail mail versus email. 

It has taken me almost nine months to arrive at this point because there are only 24 hours in a day. I share one allocation of those hours for just one day based on my personal experiences: 9+ hours work, 1+ hour roundtrip commute, 2+ hours to nourish body with food (includes collecting, prepping, consuming, cleaning), 1+/- hours cleaning body internally (i.e. going to the bathroom) and externally (bathing, flossing, etc…), 2+/- hours investing time in children/family, 8- hours sleep and possibly 1 hour remaining for decompression. 

Notice that work consumes the most time as it does with most Americans.  Consequently, either one most work in government or work in an organization that does not prevent activities (i.e. politicking) to best affect our government.  In reference to the latter, I think the only organizations that willing approve of those actively participating are those where the principal owner is doing the activity, which means few truly participate and why I think that David Brat winning his election against Eric Cantor with less than $200,000 in donations could be a watershed moment.  I think the nomination of David Brat demonstrates if and when people participate then the everyday ordinary citizen can influence government more than any money that may flow into an election.


It is hard, but we can do it; we must do it.  WE MUST PARTICIPATE!



No comments:

Post a Comment