Friday, June 1, 2018

Collaboration Desired

In this post I share the additional findings that I alluded to in last week’s post that I gleaned from the surveys I conducted going door-to-door in the neighborhoods surrounding my house.  The additional findings pertain to three items, which are:
  1. Was the interviewee more concerned about paying for healthcare or saving for retirement;
  2. What was the U.S. doing right; and 
  3. What things should the US improve upon?

In reference to question one, approximately 70% were concerned about healthcare costs.  I find this interesting because the data shows that Americans are ill prepared for retirement; therefore, if an overwhelming majority are concerned about affordable access to healthcare then they must believe that either they may not make it to “retirement”, that healthcare is taking too much of their hard earned dollars to save for retirement or both.

In reference to question two, I was shocked, humored and saddened by the responses I received.  90% stated essentially nothing.  Approximately 50% stated the same phrase, “do not know.”  Given that consistency, I conclude that America is hurting and I blame it on President Trump and his enablers, the Republican Party.  The discourse coming from Washington, D.C. is one of hatred and lies.  There are good people in the Republican Party, but senior leadership does not seek to hold Donald J. Trump accountable for his behavior, which allows some to believe similar behavior on their part is acceptable. I think people hunger for improvement, which leads into the final question.

In reference to question three, people had a difficult time answering, but when they did they wanted America to come together to solve our problems.  They wanted people to talk to each other and find common ground from which to work. Upon leaving on that final question and their answer, I felt better about America and hopefully they did, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment