Friday, October 24, 2014

Glo May Not Go

On August 26 Florida held its primary elections. Glo Smith, who seeks to represent me and others in Florida's Fifth Congressional District, won the Republican primary with 10,968 votes (or 63% of total).  The Democratic incumbent, Corrine Brown, did not have an opponent.

Even though Mrs. Glo Smith won, sadly I believe she is a no go to the U.S. House of Representatives come next January for the following reasons:
  1. The turn out this year was less than when Mr. Yost won the Republican primary four years ago, which does not bode well and documented here;
  2. Similar to Mr. Yost, Mrs. Smith does not address the core issues in the district and when she does her views are not that substantive to arouse the swing vote, which I address here; and
  3. Lastly, I do not think she has worked hard, which she needs to do to unseat Ms. Brown.

In reference to the last point, I reached out months ago to share my thoughts and offered assistance based on my experience.  Mrs. Smith never returned my call.  She may not have valued my thoughts, but why not at least engage me to ask for a donation or even to volunteer?  A campaign can never have too much money nor too many volunteers based on my limited experience.  I expect this oversight on her part to doom her. Lastly, I think voters (on both sides of the aisle) will view her as they viewed Jennifer Carroll when she ran against Corrine Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment