Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Retreat Indoors

This past weekend I visited several communities within Precinct 01H at the north end of University Boulevard in Jacksonville, Duval County. Historic Sanford aside, these communities are some of the nicest I have visited in Florida Congressional District 3 (CD-3) and are inhibited from a socioeconomic standpoint, by both black and white middle income individuals/families. The homes are relatively new, fairly large and nicer than the one my family and I live in.

Interestingly, I had hard time finding people willing to talk with me compared to other neighborhoods previously visited. A beautiful Saturday could be a contributing factor; however, I think it has more to do with the availability of A/C, lack of porches and that these people arguably have longer commutes to work and shopping than others. After a hard work day/week and a long commute, people retreat indoors where it is cool to unwind.

Of the people with whom I spoke, I observed a similar pattern of concerns to those observed in historic Sanford; once basic human needs are satisfied, concerns are more varied.

No comments:

Post a Comment